One walk through our hallways and you’ll see that our state-of-the-art facility is an indicator of the success of our hospital and our commitment to the success of our patients. Utilizing advanced technologies and innovative new treatments, delivered by top professionals in health care, we strive first to assist patients and help them to a smooth and healthy transition home.
The three levels of care we provide here at Lake Taylor:
Lake Taylor Transitional Care Hospital offers three levels of care with many specialties all on one campus designed to help patients achieve a smooth and healthy transition home. If you think you or a loved one might benefit from any of Lake Taylor’s high-tech, high-touch programs, we encourage you to contact us, because WE CAN help.
It’s our mission and our passion.
Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapies are offered at all care levels
1. Long-Term Acute Care Hospital (LTACH)
Specialized Treatment for Very Special Needs
A long-term acute care hospital, also known as an LTACH, focuses on patients with complex medical problems and rehabilitation needs that require intense, special treatment for extended periods of time. LTACH services are more appropriate for certain specialized types of care. These patients have had stays in ICU or CCU before transitioning to an LTACH. As an LTACH, Lake Taylor does offer a renowned ventilator liberation unit and a highly regarded pediatric program, but does not have traditional hospital offerings such as emergency rooms or maternity wards.
The LTACH is also different than a Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) in that LTACH services are more appropriate for certain specialized types of care. When is an LTACH the appropriate choice over an SNF? Lake Taylor is the right choice for patients who:
- Have many concurrent acute illnesses.
- Are recovering from acute illness due to multisystem failures.
- Require care directed by multiple specialists.
- Require a licensed hospital facility.
- Need respiratory therapists on staff 24 hours a day for ventilator services such as weaning and decannulation.
- Require daily physician visits.
- Have complex respiratory-relevant diagnoses.
Lake Taylor’s ventilator weaning success rates are three times the national average. Through a multi-faceted approach to establishing independence, and our ongoing commitment to training and latest advances in respiratory rehab, we have become a resource for referrals from across the nation.
Lake Taylor’s Children’s Place is located within our LTACH and is a safe haven for our youngest patients. Our interdisciplinary approach provides medical care along with constant cognitive, physical and psychosocial stimulation. An individual plan of care is developed for each patient and may include a unique combination of care and services for those with complex health needs.
The Children’s Place
Just as each child is an individual, so too is the plan of care for each of our youngest patients. Our staff develops a plan of care that is as unique as each young patient, with special attention focused on promoting education, independence and social activity.
- Physical, Occupational, Speech and Recreational Therapies and Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Ventilator Services
- Intravenous Nutritional Therapy
- Visual and Communication Skills, Devices and Training
- Educational Support of Southeastern Cooperative Educational Programs (SECEP)
- The REACH Program (Raising Expectations and Abilities for Children with complex Health needs)
- Respite Care
- In 2015, we are pleased on announce our New Pediatric Rehab Room
2. Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF)
Many people don’t realize that they may choose where to recover from major medical events such as injuries, surgeries or illnesses. This important decision has long-term implications not just for your eventual recovery but in setting the stage your health and quality of life after that.
Whether you have just had a knee replacement, experienced a cardiac event, or a suffered a debilitating illness and the need specialized care and attention, Lake Taylor is right for you.
Some of the conditions treated are:
- Orthopedic procedures (hip, knee and joint replacements)
- Post-surgery recovery
- Cardiac conditions
- Pulmonary impairments (COPD, pneumonia, etc.)
- Neurological conditions and Strokes
- Fall-related injuries
Some of the services offered are:
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapies
- Intravenous Administrations
- Wound Care
- PCA Pumps
- Peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC)
3. Traditional Long-Term Care
Our final level of care addresses the needs of patients who require long-term care. Should you find that you can no longer adequately care for a loved one at home, or if distance separates you from someone who may need constant medical care, Lake Taylor CAN help you. For more information about our Long-Term Care Services, please call 757-461-5001, Ext. 475.
At Lake Taylor, Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapies are integral components of each level of care. Our goal for each patient is a successful course of treatment that returns them to the maximum level of independence and fulfillment possible.
Lake Taylor’s expanded, light-filled PT facility is a hub of activity where you’ll find patients working with top physical therapists using some of the most advanced technology and therapies for regaining mobility and strength. Whether recovering from illness, injury or knee or hip replacement, patients receive the benefits of the expertise and motivation of our skilled, professional team.
Physical Therapy Highlights
- Therapeutic exercise
- LiteGait Technology and advanced gait and balance therapies
- Outdoor Therapy Pavilion for gaining confidence on a variety of walking surfaces
- iPad PT activities and recreational therapies
- Strength and endurance training
Working on skills and tasks to regain independence and mobility following an illness or injury, Lake Taylor’s Occupational Therapy team leads patients to increased levels of mobility and independence. Daily training in activities of daily living prepare patients in a number of ways for a healthy, safe return home or back to work.
Occupational Therapy helps prevent injury and worsening of existing conditions or recent medical events through proactive, training in the following areas:
- Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
- Strength and Endurance Training
- Use and Care of Adaptive Equipment
- Positioning and Mobility Techniques for Wheelchairs and Beds
- Splinting Customization
- Bowel and Bladder Function Retraining
- Home Evaluations
- Discharge Training for Caretakers
Lake Taylor’s licensed Speech Language Pathologists work with patients to restore vocal, hearing and feeding functionality following an illness or trauma. Our goal is to restore confidence, communication skills and independence.
Adults may experience speech, language and swallowing disorders for a multitude of reasons. Lake Taylor’s speech therapists work closely with patients and their care team to restore confidence in communication and swallowing skills. Our SLPs are licensed and trained to assist with:
- Language and Voice Therapies
- Cognitive Retraining
- Swallowing and Retraining Programs
- Alternative Communications
- Discharge Training and Home Evaluations for Patients and Caretakers
Our goal is to make the Admissions process as smooth as possible. While referrals are often made directly from other hospitals or facilities, we also can expedite the process through our easy four-step online admissions application. Click here to get started and we’ll redirect you to a secure site to protect your information.
Welcome to Lake Taylor – Four-Step Online Admissions
Please note that ALL INFORMATION is COMPLETELY CONFIDENTIAL and is NEVER shared with third parties.